Thursday, June 4, 2009

How Many Miles to Namagogo?


It's been hard to get on here to update my blog but I finally have made it and now I don't know what to write about, not because I have nothing to say, I have TOO MUCH to say! We'll start with the most recent. Yesterday was Martyrs Day here in Uganda. Millions of people travel for months from Kenya and Rwanda and other neighboring countries to come to a church where 130 years ago some Christian missionaries were slaughtered. This mass pilgrimage occurs every year and we decided that we should participate. So, we started off in the morning from Mukono and walked all the way to Kampala City to the village of Namagogo about 10 miles. I'm not going to lie, to was not enjoyable. But it was a good experience and it was great to open our eyes to the dedication of the people to travel for months to honor these martyrs. Originally we were told that the walk would be 45 minutes from Mukono. After 45 minutes we started wondering why we hadn't seen it yet...so we then asked again. They told us "Oh about 2 more Kilometers" Ok we can do that. 2 hours later we are still searching for Namagogo. We ask again. "1 more Kilometer" Hmm...I'm starting to think they don't know where it is. Here comes the down pour. Ugandans are terrified of the rain so we have to stop and get under shelter. At this point we have at least reached the mass of people and we have been traveling for 3 1/2 hours. Once the rain stops we continued traveling and after 4 hours (NOT 45) we reached Namagogo. So the real question is, how many miles is it really to Namagogo? I have no idea...

2 comments:

  1. And now you know what 'african' time means... if might mean ten minutes... or it might mean tomorrow. Take off your watch, babe. You don't need it there. :) I'm so glad to hear you're doing well.

    Much love,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca! I love reading your updates and I hope you are having a great time!!! I'm so jealous you're there!
    loves ya!
    Jaclyn

    ReplyDelete